Stamina?

This board is open to spoilers, so beware! This is the place to chat about the latest changes to the game and also the place to ask questions about the game. Newb help, as some may call it.

Moderator: Full Board Control

Stamina?

Postby PimpingWolfwood on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:54 pm

http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vie ... &start=300

The adventure system is really awesome, but I think it would be cool if we had a stamina system instead.

It could be based on percentages. This would be nifty, because the stronger you got, less stamina it would take to go to places weaker then you (though places stronger then you would take more stamina). Food and booze would work almost the same way, but rather then giving adventures, it would give you a certain percent of your total stamina back, making it possible to go cross over 100%. Whenever you were over 100%, you would be in berserk-mode, which would give something like a 10% bonus to all stats aside from the main stat, which would receive a 15% bonus, and +5 melee damage per 4 character levels for ten turns or until you drop below 100%. If you drop to 50% and then go over 100% again in the same day, you can enter berserk-mode again. This process can be repeated as many times as possible in a single day (fullness and drunkeness would be limiting factors).

Campground stuff that gives adventures now would instead lower the percent-cost of adventuring. So lets say it costs a level 3 character 3% to adventure in the Spooky Forest. If s/he got a clockwork maid, it would only cost 2% instead. A normal meat maid would lower the adventure percent-cost by .5% or so (making it possible to have a decimal as your remaining stamina, though normal adventures should never cost under 1%)

Adventure-giving equipment would start you out at a certain percent over 100%, allowing you to begin each day in berserk-mode, though you would have to have the weapon equipped the entire day, or lose the bonus.

In order to avoid abuse of this system (I.E- Semi-endless farming, ect.), each area would need a counter. After a person as spent so many turns in a certain area each day, s/he would get a message saying "Come back tomarrow. Everything should have respawned by then, kay?"(Unless you had a quest that took place in a certain zone, in which case the counter for that area would be higher, or non-existant. The longer you let the quest sit unfinished, the less this benefit, though.) Every rollover, the counter would reset.

There could be skills obtained by adventuring in individual areas or groups of areas a certain number of times, which would allow you to adventure there more per day. Only one of these would be obtainable per ascension.

Also, new acsension paths could be made. The Seventy-five Cent (You begin with 75% stamina daily, rather then 100%, berserk-mode obtainable at 80% ), the Half-Dollar (You begin with 50% stamina daily, rather then 100%, berserk-mode obtainable at 55%), and the Quarter (You begin with 25% stamina daily, berserk-mode obtainable at 26%).

Yep. That would be nifty.

What do you guys think?
PimpingWolfwood
Otorian
Otorian

Postby Tibbiara on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:02 pm

Eh, I dunno, I'm not really a fan. Part of what I find interesting about the resource management is that adventures are absolutely quantal regardless of your level; while some styles of play make adventures more valuable per adventure than others (HCO comes to mind), in each case you're still thinking about one adventure as a finite unit of possibility, which makes you think "where would I rather spend this?" Doing it as a ratio incentivizes spending your time in relatively "low-levelled" areas, which means that +ML becomes even more important and farming goes insane. (I realize that the "limited number of turns per area per day" is intended to cut down on farming, but it also makes things harder when attempting to complete quests in one zone that take a lot of turns. I've had runs where I've spent whole days in the Knoll or the Castle or the Dark Neck due to RNG-screw, and getting locked out of one of those just because the RNG wouldn't let me leave on my own would suck hardcore.)

"Berserk-mode" also strikes me as kind of weird. It essentially makes food and booze into a stat/damage buff, which means it incentivizes wacky eating/drinking regimens (min-maxing not just what you consume, but when) and widens the gap between high- and low-quality food/booze even more. Did high-level consumables really need to get better?

Finally, this is pretty minor, but the stamina system would just be less intuitive. With adventures, I know exactly how much "time" I have left to play and can prioritize appropriately; if I have to look at percentages and compare my possible zones, that's going to get substantially more complicated and in turn means I'm spending less time playing KoL and more time thinking about KoL. Which is not my idea of a good time, personally.
Tibbiara
Shogun
Shogun

Postby Slashor on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 pm

It is interesting but it will never get done and I have problems with it. Something along those lines will never ever get implemented because it essentially changes everything about the game for no real benefit. What problems does this address with the current system?
Slashor
Friend
Friend

Postby PimpingWolfwood on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:46 am

None. I just thought it would be fun to dream up, and I had fun making those nifty images. Especially the berserk-mode one, which ended up looking hilarious. If I ever get a custom avatar, then it will probably just be that berserk-mode image.
PimpingWolfwood
Otorian
Otorian

Postby Slashor on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:06 am

Just get a dude going all super-sayan.
Slashor
Friend
Friend

Postby Tibbiara on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:20 am

What would be really sexy would be a custom avatar that changed as you ascended, like normal, but always with the spiky hair. No way Jick'd ever go for it, though...
Tibbiara
Shogun
Shogun

Postby Slashor on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:32 am

You just get longer and longer hair? Or like grow a longer beard if you are a guy or something like that?
Slashor
Friend
Friend

Postby melonmuncher on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:54 am

down from me... but then again I dont even get the current gameplay workings exactly...

thanks god for KoL wiki
melonmuncher
Friend
Friend

Postby Tagliatelle on Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am

It would require a complete rewrite of the game. Everything would need rebalancing.

This sounds like an idea which would be better somewhere in a totally new game, rather than trying to fit it into KoL.
Tagliatelle
Shogun
Shogun

Postby Trips_ on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:51 pm

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Bleurgh!
Trips_
Otorian
Otorian

Postby PimpingWolfwood on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:10 pm

Man, no love for a little inventiveness.

=(
PimpingWolfwood
Otorian
Otorian

Postby melonmuncher on Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:32 am

we werent bashing the creativity, just bashing how it wouldnt fit into the KoL game very well :wink:
melonmuncher
Friend
Friend

Postby PimpingWolfwood on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:53 am

melonmuncher wrote:we werent bashing the creativity, just bashing how it wouldnt fit into the KoL game very well :wink:

Then we must make a new game! Bigger! Bolder! Melonmuncher, you and I can be the game Admins! We could even start a cult based around the game, and used said cult to take over the world!

Muwhahah!
PimpingWolfwood
Otorian
Otorian

Return to The Game Board